My pre-order email was sent out. Summary is that the Uthernet II has an introductory price of $59 till August 31st and then it will be $69 till the remaining stock of this run is sold out. www.a2retrosystems.com
Archive for the 'Uncategorized' Category
A few days ago I sent out a survey (http://goo.gl/forms/M12Myd7eQL) to everyone on my list (I hope I didn’t miss anyone). I have had a great response and I am moving to the next phase to lock down the price and prepare a pre-order email to be sent out to the survey respondents. Thanks for all the support and kind words for this project. The Apple II is alive and well in 2015!
My brother ordered me a few esp8266 boards a few months back.
In the down time between Uthernet activities I have been experimenting with the esp826-01 module. Two recent software developments are making it a lot simpler to utilize the chip as a native processor and not just a serial wifi modem. That would be that a) the Arduino now supports the esp8266 as a direct target and b) a mobile developer called blynk (backed them via kickstater) supports the platform along with a lot of other embedded devices.
I wanted a very simple project for my first foray into this platform and decide to upgrade my mouse trap. My house backs onto a forest. Some times mice find their way in somehow and my cat has something new to play with if she is quick. I have used these catch and hold traps but sometime I put them down and forget to check them when I get busy.
I figured why not use the esp8266 to signal when the mouse is in the house and send an alert to my smart phone so I can go and release the little pest elsewhere.
So for my prototype I am using
- esp82266-01 modified to use deepsleep
- magnet placed under the ramp
- magnetic sensor attached to a GPIO 16 and RST
- Arduino 1.6.4 with esp8266 support
In my last update I said if all is well … Well all isn’t well.
The new boards had a flaw in them which I had introduced when trying to sub out one part for another. Once I figured that out, I proceeded to test a modified board and when doing extended tests I started seeing more timing issues. At this point the only model with full stability is my Enhanced IIe.
In an attempt to diagnose the issue, I have found it very difficult to take accurate measurements given the full SMT nature of the board. So I have ordered some new PCB’s with proper test points on them still using all the same components I would plan to use in production.
I will post another update once the new boards are in hand.
Update: Boards are back, stencil arrived today … parts have also arrived.
Update: Test build build to start soon
The next revision of the PCB boards are on their way to me now. Parts to be ordered soon. Should have cards ready for the beta testers hopefully the end of next week. Wanted to give a shout out to David Finnigan of http://www.macgui.com/ for the Uthernet II logo gracing our home page.
SketchUp rendered rev2 board
Hi I have a working board now but I realized I will need to spin another PCB before sending out a broader beta testing run.
The current PCB needs an inverter due to the way I hooked the LVCC4245 to the apple II bus. Once I added that I also found the LVCC4245 had some timing issues in the IIgs.
Replacing the LVCC4245 with a standard 74LS245D seems to work okay so far.
My first real world test other then web browsing was to use Contiki to participate in the IRC server on a2central.com the other night.
I thought perhaps some folks might like to see my hardware progression from Uthernet I to Uthernet II (after the decision was made to finalize on W5100 vs the other contenders).
So from left to right we have (1) the original Uthernet, then we have (2) a custom bridge adapter that let me use the WIZ811MJ module with the original Uthernet base board, then we have (3) PCB version of that adapter (while this works fine there are clearance issues in adjacent slots that make this too risky for a production solution imho) so I shelved that idea and moved on to (4) the AIO (All in One) card.