Another slant on a useful utility

Open forum is for the discussion of the Uther ethernet board for the Apple II series of computers.

Moderator: support

Another slant on a useful utility

Postby support » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:23 pm

I think it's great that ADTPro now has both ethernet and serial support.

I was also considering that ADTPro is used from the Apple II users point of view with the PC as a peripheral as it were.

It would aslo be useful to have the PC manage/access the Apple II peripherals. A stub program could be loaded on the Apple II and then it could respond to requests from a Windows/Mac or Linux host over ethernet.

Perhaps it might be possible to have Ciderpress access the prodos volumes remotely. It would be nice to use a facility like this for backups ... have time script that goes out enumerates all the volumes then saves them on the PC

Any comments on this suggestion?

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Who's the server here?

Postby David Schmidt » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 pm

That's one direction the C64 community went with the X1541 cable and attendant software. The X1541 cable is a hardware connector that lets a PC talk directly to the C64's disk drive through a parallel port, and it behaves just as you say: like a PC peripheral. Now, that's a whole lot easier to do with no real C64 in the middle because the 1541 disk drive is a whole computer with a serial connection all by itself; interfacing to it is pretty simple. The same idea applied in the Apple's situation would certainly require the physical Apple in the middle.

Just think... an explorer view with devices and files underneath them. Drag and drop. Hmmmmmm...
David Schmidt

Postby David Schmidt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:29 am

I've been thinking about this a little more. Maybe the thing to do is to make a filesystem device driver that knows how to read and write files. So, rather than build a whole UI widget for doing transfers, let the host OS do it... so any of a number of already-existing file management tools could be used instead of creating yet another one.

Oh, and I just ran across this from Rich Dreher on the history of the CFFA project:
I asked a friend and ProDOS hacker from way back, Chris Schumann, to help me develop a ProDOS 8 driver that would work with ATA devices, specifically the SanDisk 64 Meg CompactFlash Memory Card. We spent several days coding with marginally working hardware and roughed out the ProDOS driver, complete with debug code that would output via an Apple Super Serial card back to my PC. He had written ProDOS drivers in the past that allowed a file on a PC to appear as a hard drive on the Apple linked via a RS232 serial connection.

Cha-ching!
David Schmidt

Custom or WebDAV?

Postby support » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:44 am

David Schmidt wrote:I've been thinking about this a little more. Maybe the thing to do is to make a filesystem device driver that knows how to read and write files. So, rather than build a whole UI widget for doing transfers, let the host OS do it... so any of a number of already-existing file management tools could be used instead of creating yet another one.

Right something that exports any available volume on the target machine ...
Ciderpress uses Raw device access to mount devices so it can access them. If this driver provided a compatible interface then it could read the remote ProDOS volumes and make them pseudo windows drives.

One other approach that Oliver was considering at one point, was to make a Contiki Application that acted as a webDAV server so that standard browsers would be able to send and receive files. The Web server portion is already there, WebDav semantics and ProDOS volume management would have to be added.

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Postby aiiadict » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm

> He had written ProDOS drivers in the past that allowed a file on a PC to
> appear as a hard drive on the Apple linked via a RS232 serial
>connection.

I found a post on comp.sys.apple2.programmer from the 2000's where the author said he had this working.. I have not been able to contact him via email, and he never answered my reply to his post...

I just looked on the group but could not find the post.

definitely had: serial, prodos, server in the post, I think.... and I replied to it (aiiadict@gmail.com)

Rich
aiiadict

Return to Uther - General Discussion