No connection - No DHCP, No static IP

Tech support questions for the Uther board may be posted here. You may want to read the FAQ first as you may find what your looking for there first.

Moderator: support

Update

Postby support » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:28 pm

ajross wrote:Hi Glenn -

That fixed it!

Thats good news...

I only have one little problem - the video rom chip that I was sent seems not to fit my //e. If I install it anyway, i simply get trash on the screen.

When you say does not fit - too long or too short?

I yanked it and put back my original video rom and contiki/uther now obtains dhcp no problem and all is well, however I guess what are supposed to be 'menu boxes' are not, in their places I get strange chars, so I can only assume that I need the full video rom as well as the EF & CD ROM + CPU that I've installed to get contiki working satisfactorily.

Yes you need the mouse characters for the boxes to display properly.

Why would I have been sent a chip that does not fit on the board? I have asked GSE-Reactive to assist, but they have not been forthcoming.

Unless Apple used a non standard ROM on the Euro models? Henry is a good egg ... he must be busy if he hasn't gotten back to you yet .. He will.

I'll get the spare Uther board sent back to you as soon as I get a chance, which will probably be this weekend by the looks of things. Hope this is OK with you.

Sure thats fine.

Thanks so much for your help with all of this - I wouldn't have ever have thought that it was a requirement to have an enhanced //e. Maybe you should update your website to show this as a requirement?

Actually it is noted on my Contiki web download page in a few spots ... It's not really identifed clearly in the User guide though ... Technically the card is fully compatible with the Unenhanced IIe - it's just Contiki that is not :( ... Sorry I didn't pick up on that earlier .... I think I let the possible early 6502 and Euro model cloud my thinking ....

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Postby ajross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:51 pm

The chip he supplied is the same one that is shown in the photo on his website. It's 2 pins too short to fit onto the motherboard. You can see clearly on the photo on his website that the chip is shorter than the other chips (eg, cpu/ef/cd rom).

I didn't think to look at the video rom chip before ordering the parts. Ho hum.

Anyway, here's hoping!

Regards,

Ali
ajross

Postby support » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 pm

ajross wrote:

The chip he supplied is the same one that is shown in the photo on his website. It's 2 pins too short to fit onto the motherboard. You can see clearly on the photo on his website that the chip is shorter than the other chips (eg, cpu/ef/cd rom).

I checked my Unenhanced IIe and my Video Rom chip is 24 pins as well.
So yours is a 28 Pin ROM?

Be nice to see a picture although I am sure it won't change matters much.

The 2732 and the 2764 essential have the same pinout ... If you put the two chips together with their tails aligned then the pins are the same. The 2764 has the top 2 left pins as VPP and A12 and the top two right pins as VCC and PGM

If you plug the 2732 in the 28pin socket make sure the chip is seated all the way back .. meaning pin 1 would be in the 3rd hole down in the socket.

The only issue is that pin 24 wich requires vcc will be in a socket that is n/c for the 2764, you would have to run a jumper wire from pin 24 on the chip to pin 28 in the socket.

I can make a drawing or take a picture if this description is not clear.

I didn't think to look at the video rom chip before ordering the parts. Ho hum.

Anyway, here's hoping!

Regards,

Ali

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Postby ajross » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Sorry about the image quality - nothing beats real light conditions.

[center]Image
On the left, you can see the new video rom (2 pins shorter than the old one)
[/center]

for the new chip, here are the details:
Intel D2732A-20 (U2300664)

for the old chip, here are the details:
8314 (C1 9627)
(341-0160-A)
"(C) Apple 82"

I had my girlfriend send you back the Uther board today so should be with you some time early next week.

I'm not quite sure I read you right with the pinouts - does this involve soldering?
ajross

Picture

Postby support » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi Ali,

I hoped you marked the package as a gift or sample .... :-)

Here is a picture of what I was trying to convey - I used a Wirewrap socket but you get the idea ...

Sorry it's a little blurry ...

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Any luck with the eprom?

Postby support » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi ALi, any luck in getting a hold of Henry or trying the mod I suggested?
support
Site Admin

Postby ajross » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 am

Hey Glenn,

Yeah - Henry got in touch and he is making up some sorta custom chip for me at the moment - apparently the Euro //e was never 'enhanced', so this will be a one of a kind machine :)

I'll let you know how I fare...

Regards,

Ali
ajross

The card came back

Postby support » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Ali, I received the returned card - thanks ... hope the eprom is working out.

Glenn
support
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tech Support